Saturday, May 06, 2006

Lost In Thought

I didn't start watching Lost until the second season started. I had gotten my hands on the full first season though and watched the episodes in rapid succession. This led me to the conclusion that Lost certainly had its good moments, but as a whole it all seemed slipshod and ramshackle, with the writers appearing to make things up as they went along to create new wrinkles in an ever more convoluted mystery.

A strong start to the second season made me continue watching the series (it's free, after all, there's a more casual commitment to sit down and watch a tv show than there is to buy monthly comics) but by and large they were starting to lose me as I just got bored more and more. The inclusion of Henry Gale, Lost's best guest character yet, as well as the mysterious map that Locke discovered, did help a lot in revitalizing my interest in the show. Moreover, the episodes are slowly gearing to a climax which no doubt will shake things up amongst the islanders. It feels like there's an actual direction again (a problem most tv series will experience mid-season, as there is the usual lull before the final sweeps, it's all about the ad money after all!)

This week's particular chapter of the lives past and present of those stuck on the island, was enjoyable to watch. A nice surprise opener, and a logical continuance of Michael's return. It was all quite predictable, really, and I read a lot of the character's lines along with them, calling their actions before they actually performed them, especially during the ending. Despite the predictability, and the inanity of Sawyer "losing" his gun to Ana without even noticing (he'd be used to sitting on it, he'd feel it in an instant, but then I guess he's a dumbass), I had a good time watching this. So much so I'm looking forward to rewatching both series 1 and 2 during the summer, once the finale has come and gone, to prepare for the third season and eke out clues and red herrings.

Some theories of mine after this episode are that:
  • Claire is Jack's half-sister (cementing my idea that Jack is "special", that he's potentially responsible for Locke and Rose being healed just like he healed his wife, without even knowing it. There's apparently something odd in Jack's family's genetics)
  • there are two groups of others (the barefoot rag-wearing ones the Tailaways encountered during their trek across the island, and the ones who lived in the medical hatch and captured Claire--both groups are insane in their own way)
  • and Jack's father is potentially the leader Henry speaks of in such awestruck tones (his casket was empty and we've seen him walking around on the island...)
Much like I was taught by the X-Files, I trust no one, least of all the writers :)

I think it's probably the most fun aspect of Lost, the many bones thrown to allow viewers to create out-there theories that could all be true in some way, depending on the writers' whim. I actually suspect a lot of their ideas stem from reading such theories on the internet, on message boards devoted to the show.

Lost is in no way a stellar show, but it can be pretty entertaining, even when I'm shouting at the stupidity on the screen (yeah, I'm no fun to watch tv with, I spout off more commentary than I do on here! :p)

Bring on next week's "?" -- my pick for best episode title of a show ever ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home